Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Love what you fear

Dear...

There are hundreds of quotes like: there is no rainbow without rain, no light without darkness, what goes up must come down etc etc... A world full of opposites.
When I was studying martial arts and dance I started to discover that our body and mind thrives on opposites. Opposites can create beauty and will create balance in our body and mind. I liked what I recently read from Neale Donald Walsch, he wrote: "The law of opposites gives us opportunities".

There is a big dance championship coming up in the Netherlands "Assen 2013". Preparing for such a competition requires both physical and mental preparation.  My students are well on their way to put an excellent performance on the floor. For some of them, as the competition draws closer, not only their excitement but their anxiety starts to grow as well. More than one expressed to me: My confidence starts to shake if I see how good my competitors are.  I told them: instead of looking away from your competitors, look at them and observe them well;  appreciate what your competitors put on the floor; know and admire their strengths and enjoy what you see.
Now I understand that feels counterintuitive, it feels like an 'opposite' reaction so to speak, but it comes from what my martial arts teacher taught me. He said your opponent is your opposite, he is just a reflection of yourself. Study him and know him well. But the most important lesson he gave me was: "Love your enemies and they cease to exist." In other words: When you love what you fear, your fear will disappear!


I wish all competitors a wonderful experience and competition.
jeandorff@mac.com


"Be inspired and you shall inspire." ~JD

No comments:

Post a Comment