Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A story of talent and passion

Dear...

Talent means you have a natural ability to do something and passion means a strong and barely controllable emotion. So when passion meets talent, it's likely that success will follow and that great things can happen. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that you need to have talent for the things you are passionate about, or that you can only be successful when you have a talent for it. If you have less talent, don't let it stop or discourage you to go after what you want. Talent accounts only for a small percentage to achieve something, the bigger part needs to come from focus, dedication and hard work. The last three can only be reached with passion.

Success should be measured by more than 'being the best in something'. If these were the only criteria of being successful, a lot of passionate people would immediately stop doing what they are passionate about. We can all strive to be a winner, but we will not all be one. I must admit that I walked in that trap and for a while I could only find joy in something when I was the best or at least really good at it. Later in life, I learned to find joy in the process of doing things, instead of making my joy dependent of the results I was after. While as a performance coach I strive to get the best out of people or teams, I also want to make sure that the love for doing things is not killed by the pursuit of success. In the end it is as Steve Job said: "The only way to do great work is to love what you do".

jeandorff@googlemail.com
facebook.com/jean.dorff
http://www.pinterest.com/jeandorff/inspiration/


"Be inspired and you shall inspire." ~ JD

QNZ5C6RFR4GR

No comments:

Post a Comment