Saturday, December 7, 2013

There is never nothing going on...

Dear...

A number of years ago I made my first business trip to India. After a 14 hour flight to New Delhi and a far from eventless ride from the airport to hotel, I was ready to crash in my hotel room. The front desk staff suggested however something more attractive, they said Mr. Dorff why don't you go to one of our spas, it will refresh you before you have to start your work tomorrow.

Now I can tell you how great the Ayurvedic massage was, with scented oils and meditative music in the background, but that is not the point of this story.
Part of the treatment package was to have a consult with an Ayurvedic astrologist. I'm not a believer of the influence of planets and the moon on our wellbeing, but I thought hey it is for free and it is after all ancient knowledge.

The astrologist started with asking me the date and time of my birth, he needed exact information in order for him to make accurate predictions. And although I didn't know my exact time of birth, he told me, to my surprise, not to worry since he had other ways to get it. For a moment I was puzzled and wondered how he would be able to retrieve my exact time of birth. I couldn't see a way unless he would call my mother. Seeing the impression on my face, he said: Jean, why do you think that the time of your birth is more significant than the time you walked into my office? This insight struck me like lightning.

The character Socrates in Dan Millman's book 'The Way of the Peaceful Warrior' said: "There are no ordinary moments". In my mind there is no more profound way to explaining the power of now than this quote. Being caught up with things that happened in our past or being occupied working with events still to happen, we often forget what's going on in our lives at the present time. Eckhart Tolle said: "Most humans are never fully present, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one."

Once you see that that there is only this moment, you will see that there is significance in every moment, as the astrologist in New Delhi did when I walked in his office.

jeandorff@googlemail.com
facebook.com/jean.dorff
http://www.pinterest.com/jeandorff/inspiration/






"Be inspired and you shall inspire." ~JD




No comments:

Post a Comment