Thursday, December 5, 2013

The power of words....

Dear...

You probably know that most of our communication is non-verbal and I'm not talking about when you read an e-mail, I'm talking about when you are actually talking face to face with two or more people.
Depending on what research article you read, somewhere between 75% and 90% of our communication is non-verbal. Non-verbal communication such as gestures, intonation, posture, clothing etcetera and even smell... This means that only 10% to 25% is conveyed through words.
I sometimes wonder if my readers get the full meaning of my daily posts since I'm limited to using only words. I can only imagine how much nuance in our messages gets lost with the texting we do via social media and mobile apps.

We already misunderstand each other so easily when we communicate face to face, I can only imagine how much of the true message we miss when we see written text only. I read something recently in a blog that illustrates how powerful Non-Verbal communication is. Ahston Laurent, a former teacher from Gallaudet University where the students are deaf or hard of hearing said: "It's difficult to lie to a deaf person because they're so attuned to peoples' body language."

As a dancer and dance teacher, I'm very aware of non-verbal communication. In fact when I perform and when I teach, my body language is the most important 'instrument' to convey my story or a lesson.

By now you might wonder why today's post is titled 'the power of words' and not 'the power of body language'. Well, because today I was made aware again what the power of a few words can be. My dad who just came from Intensive Care Unit was able to talk again. I had him on the phone and he said: "Son, I can't hear you very well, but you don't have to worry about me, I am okay".
A few words can make sometimes all the difference...even without all the non-verbal communication.



jeandorff@googlemail.com
facebook.com/jean.dorff
http://www.pinterest.com/jeandorff/inspiration/






"Be inspired and you shall inspire." ~JD



No comments:

Post a Comment